The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Big sisters from the San Diego Girls Rising organization.

Lily Lucero ‘18, Staff Writer

“It is the most wonderful time of the year!” However, what would the holidays be like without the lit candles, the dawning of garlands, the traditional foods, and the smell of pine trees?

For those living in poverty-stricken areas such as Uganda, the Middle East, and Haiti, the holidays are very difficult times. These people are aware that it is holiday season, yet those who are sick and suffering may not celebrate. How can a high school student change this holiday injustice? There is an answer.

The OLP community can join in solidarity to bring the holiday season to everyone. From a local standpoint, an OLP student can contribute to spreading the cheer of the holiday season by volunteering at places such as St. Vincent De Paul Villages, starting a fundraiser for a worthy cause, or by simply caroling. There are many organizations within our city, state, and country that we can work with to spread Christmas cheer.

Girls Rising is a San Diego based organization that pairs an at-risk young girl with a “big sister” who serves as a mentor and guide for the young girls. Many of these girls are living in poor conditions, without the guidance of responsible adults to guide them in making good decisions and help them lead good lives. This outreach organization is one of the many ways that students can get involved this holiday season.

Technology allows humans to do amazing things. Through the Social Advocates for Youth of San Diego, anyone can sponsor a low income family to give them assistance during the holiday season. When a family is sponsored, they are bought groceries, assisted with the drop-off and pick up of children to and from school, and helped with wrapping gifts. Through this organization, families around San Diego are given the chance to give their children a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. More information can be found at https://www.saysandiego.org/.

A little north of San Diego sits the beach town of San Clemente. Every year at Christmas time, the The Shoreline Church hosts an event called, “Shops at the Shoreline.” At this event, ministries from around the world join together to give to their neighbors during the holiday season. Gifts are displayed that can be bought to help a local or abroad community. Livestock can be purchased for families in third world countries, or groceries can be bought for the low-income family down the street. Through this ministry and these people from all around the world coming together, the holidays become a little sweeter for those who have it rough.

The holidays are certainly not just a time to receive. Through organizations such as St. Vincent De Paul Villages, Girls Rising, the Social Advocates for the Youth of San Diego, and Shops at the Shoreline, anyone can work to increase the merriment of the holidays for those who might be experiencing tough times. OLP students are called to help neighbors in need, and even small gestures can change someone’s year for the better.