The Pilot Press

OLP Swim Making a Splash

Back to Article
Back to Article

OLP Swim Making a Splash

Photo by: Dawn Ella Stoddard

Photo by: Dawn Ella Stoddard

Photo by: Dawn Ella Stoddard

Gillian Folk '19 and Annie Danaher '19

It’s 7 a.m.  Cold air stings the lungs of the OLP swimmers as they sluggishly walk to the edge of the pool deck, caps and goggles in hand. Coach counts down, 5..4..3..2..1..splash! Thirty swimmers plunge into the ice-cold water and begin their first, long set of the day.  This is just the average Saturday morning for an OLP swimmer.

The OLP swim team practices in Coronado on weekdays and Saturdays. Some days, Coach Elyse Witt, Coach Jackie Kowalik, and Coach Kerry Stanko will treat their swimmers to a fun and energetic beach practice where the team runs and performs a variety of aerobic workouts.

This talented team consists of fifteen fast freshmen, six splashin’ sophomores, eight jazzy juniors, and nine sprinting seniors. Some swimmer standouts include Spencer Mc Veigh ‘16 (butterfly), Annie Danaher ‘19 (breaststroke/freestyle), Andrea Deinard ‘19 (breaststroke), Liana Simonelli ‘19 (freestyle/ breaststroke), Gillian Folk ‘19 (freestyle/ butterfly), and Rachel Amaral ‘18 (freestyle). This year, the OLP Junior Varsity and Varsity swim teams have won two meets against Mar Vista and Serra High School and had a few close losses.

Tough practices and delicious after swim meet snacks have truly brought this fine group of girls together. Led by two amazing captains, Spencer McVeigh ‘16 and Charlotte Adema ‘16, the swim girls have been able to greatly improve their technique, earn many first places, and create a strong bond with their teammates, truly making waves both in and out of the pool.