The student news site of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace

The Pilot Press

Athlete Spotlight: Olivia Dinapoli ‘19

Bridget Barclay ’19

comp-athlete-2There is an infinite amount of high-achieving athletes in the world. Many of these athletes come with pride from the Academy. Amongst the seasonal sports, there are a few select players who have shown dedication and improvement with promising futures. One player who fits this description is the Varsity volleyball setter, Olivia Dinapoli ‘19.

Olivia’s  impressive athletic skills have certainly caught the eye of her coaches. Olivia is currently a sophomore at Our Lady of Peace and has been competitively playing volleyball since the third grade (about 9 years). She has competed for a variety of volleyball clubs, some of which include Carlsbad Juniors, Wahine Club, and Genuine Club.

Ever since Olivia was little, volleyball has been her whole life. The sport has not only allowed her to develop skills such as setting goals and staying positive, but has also taught her the importance of teamwork. When Olivia was asked why she plays volleyball, she replied, “It brings me joy and I know it is something that I do well at.”

But volleyball is not the only part of Olivia’s life that brings her joy. Olivia is equally interested in art and design (which she attributes to her father whose career has brought him into the design industry) and is dedicated to her academics.

comp-athleteOlivia is an excellent example of hard work paying off. She never would have dreamed of being on the varsity volleyball team as a sophomore, or even as a setter on varsity. She credits her improved volleyball career to her hard work over summer break. After realizing she had a chance to make the varsity team, she worked incredibly hard to earn herself a spot on the team. To Olivia, the toughest part about being on the varsity team at a young age is the fact that the setter’s job is to be in charge of all the players. She finds it difficult to take control of the team since she is not a vocal person, but aims to improve this quality throughout the season. Olivia is still able to overcome this challenge and prove herself worthy of the varsity title, so next time you see Olivia around on campus, try to take time to congratulate her on her devoted volleyball career, and wish her luck for the rest of the season.

Whether it’s volleyball or art, Olivia hopes that these two loves will continue to play a key role in her life as she decides to either enter the field of physical therapy or join the world of art and design. Either way, Olivia plans on continuing to play volleyball in college – which she definitely will if she continues on her “set” path! Go Pilots!