The student news site of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace

The Pilot Press

Spring Sing Stars Behind the Curtain

Photo by: Cameron Travers

Photo by: Cameron Travers

Nicole Stepovich ‘19, Staff Writer

Now that Spring Sing is nothing more than a nostalgic memory, it is time to look back on the students who had some of the biggest roles in the entire production.  No, not the main characters, but the girls who worked tirelessly for more than 12 weeks every single day to produce a phenomenal show. These are students on leadership who have put their all into the show, both behind the scenes and on stage.

Natalia Ventura – Senior, Director

What is your role on the leadership team?

“I am one of the two directors for the Seniors.”

What do you do to prepare for Spring Sing?

“During the months of Spring Sing, all my time goes into preparing for our performance. As director, I have to make sure everyone is doing their job, while still doing mine. I’m usually running around campus during practices, checking up on everyone, recording songs, consulting with moderators, and more.”

Are there any major differences or adjustments from Spring Sing in the previous years, specifically with your role?

“Finding copyrights was pretty challenging this year. We had to change one of our songs last minute, and that was something I had never had to deal with before. But when I broke the news to our chorus, nobody reacted negatively. They saw it as a way to make our show even better, and I was really proud of them for that.”

How many hours of work do you put into Spring Sing every week/ overall?

“If you do the math, I dedicate about 23 hours a week to Spring Sing, excluding weekend practices, performance days, and meeting deadlines. And when I’m not working on Spring Sing, I’m stressing about it. It takes all your energy (and sanity), but it’s worth it.”

What’s the most challenging part for you?

“I’d say trying to keep everyone excited. It can get pretty rough when you’re practicing the same song over and over again.”

What do you enjoy most about this position?

“I’m always amazed of how a bunch of teenage girls can work together to create amazing shows. It’s a unique experience that I don’t think I would have been able to have anywhere else.”

What do you enjoy most about Spring Sing in general?

“I love being able to spend time with my class outside of school hours. It’s a great way to get to know people you wouldn’t otherwise talk to outside of school. My best OLP memories are Spring Sing memories.”

If you could change one thing about Spring Sing, what would it be?

“I think if we were able to include more instruments, it would really add to the show. Don’t get me wrong, Ms. Kamrath is the best, but we have a lot of talented musicians in our class that could really contribute to the production.”

What qualities and/or skills do you need to be a director?

“The ability to work well under pressure. And patience. Lots of patience.”

Do you have any funny or interesting stories from Spring Sing this year or in past years?

“Muffin gate. Seniors know what I’m talking about.”

Do you have any advice for people who are interested in being a Spring Sing director, or are interested in Spring Sing leadership in general?

Just go for it. Freshman year I ran for director and I got elected, and it was how I got to know all the girls in my class. Just put yourself out there and you’ll discover new skills you never thought you had.”

Anything else you would like us to know before we are done?

“I just want to send love to the Seniors, I hope they know I have loved working with them these past four years. <3”

Nicole Jimenez – Junior, Dance Choreographer

“Choreographer.”

“I make the dances for the dancers and I also make the dance moves that chorus will do. It’s a super stressful process because the dancers like to mess around sometimes and some of the moves are too [complicated for all of chorus].”

“The copyright issues that came this year with the music was definitely difficult. Since we had to look for music that was legal to use, we had to turn to music of the previous generation which was really hard for me to choreograph to. In the end it all pulled together though.”

“About 13-14 hours a week. Overall it’s probably over 100.”

“The most challenging part for me is probably the time consumption. I don’t play a sport so I wasn’t used to the daily life of staying 2+ hours every single day and getting home at a much later time than usual. I really had to adjust my schedule accordingly and set my priorities in place in order to make time for them.”

“What I enjoy most about this position is seeing my work go on stage and watching the dancers enjoy what they’re doing. It’s great to see [what] my hard work is going towards and the end product is so worth the stress that I go through during the process.”

“What I enjoy the most about Spring Sing every year is the actual day of the show. Everyone is so excited and happy and ready to perform and there’s a certain camaraderie between my class during the night that I can never get anywhere else.”

“If I could change one thing about Spring Sing, it would be to choose whatever song we wanted to, even if it was copyrighted. Experiencing two years where we had the freedom to choose any song we wanted was so much easier and now I realize how much stress it took away. It also gave us a lot of room to get creative with how we would want to word the song.”

What qualities and/or skills do you need to be dance coordinator?

“Definitely a lot of patience. That really goes for any position in leadership. The girls that participate (at least for our class) can really be a handful sometimes and patience is key to getting through rehearsals. Some skills you need would probably be organization, time management, and creativity.”

“There’s so many little things that always happen every practice that it’s really hard to choose one! For me though, my favorite would probably have to be freshman year. We were all backstage getting ready and I just remember not knowing ANYTHING about makeup so literally 10 girls would surrounding me trying to help me understand the difference between foundation and setting powder. They were all getting so frustrated because I just didn’t get what the difference was so they just gave up and I went on stage looking like a mess.”

Do you have any advice for people who are interested in Spring Sing leadership?

“Go for it! It may seem stressful at times, but watching it all come together on the night of performance makes it so worth it. You grow closer to your sisters and you just have a really fun time with them! It also gives you a chance to make some great memories.”

Gabby Pascua – Sophomore, Secretary

“Secretary.”

“I have to exercise those spreadsheet skills! Being Spring Sing Secretary has taught me how to maneuver my way around Excel/Google Sheets more than school itself has ever taught me. I maintain documented files on all overall cast information, money balance, and student whereabouts/attendance.”

Are there any major differences or adjustments from Spring Sing last year to this year, specifically with your role?

“Having to obtain copyright permission is definitely the big one that I’m sure everyone around campus has heard about. Being Secretary as a Freshman has basically the same responsibilities as being Secretary as a Sophomore, but having that first year of experience has definitely improved my work ethic for this year. We do also have a much larger cast this year compared to the last, which calls for a lot more people to keep track of.”

“Honestly, I couldn’t give you a definite answer! Spring Sing kind of dominates my life and a lot of my time starting from late November.”

“Getting people to check their emails! So much vital information is communicated through emails and it’s kind of disheartening when people don’t check them. I now know how teachers feel when they have to reiterate information so many times.”

“[Being a secretary] is a very behind-the-scenes job, like the glue piecing everything together that you don’t really see. Oddly enough, I love the organizational aspect of being secretary and I love being constantly busy before, during, and even after Spring Sing season. It’s like being a mom to your OLP sisters for a few months. Even though the amount of work that has to be done seems to make people turn away, I honestly just could not imagine not doing it all four years.”

“The sense of community and the amount of love shared throughout the entire school is absolutely overwhelming. Even though it’s a competition between classes, there’s always that constant encouragement and support from everyone. Despite all the stress, tiring rehearsals, and getting home when the sun has already called it off, Spring Sing makes OLP bonds stronger than ever imaginable.”

What qualities and/or skills do you need to be a secretary?

“Attentiveness, organization, effective communication, and a realistic sense are definitely key components! When you have a class as creative and flamboyant as the Sophomore class, as Secretary, sometimes you just have to be the one to give lay down the line to figure out what’s feasible and what’s not.”

Are you involved in any other theatre activities?  If so, how are you involved in these (ex. Actor, crew, etc.)?

“Yes! In middle school I used to be part of CYT (Christian Youth Theater), my favorite role being Crutchie in Newsies. At OLP, I’m part of Thespians and I have done chorus for the two previous Fall musicals, Anything Goes and Beauty & the Beast.”

Do you have any advice for people who are interested in being a Spring Sing Secretary, or are interested in Spring Sing leadership in general?

“Being a boss and being a leader are two entirely different things.”

Samantha Kennedy – Freshman, Dance Choreographer

“I am the choreographer for Freshmen Spring Sing Leadership team.”

“As the choreographer, I make the dances for Freshmen in Spring Sing and I teach those dances to the dancers.”

“I work 2 hours or more every weekday for Spring Sing, and I spend about 3 hours choreographing a dance.”

“The most challenging part for me is to make dances that are easy for the dancers but still amusing to the audience. There are some dancers who have no dance experience and there are dancers who have been dancing for most of their life, and I find it hard to make dances based on their capability.”

“I enjoy this position because I love seeing the dances I make being performed and I love seeing the effort and determination put into those dances.The dancers make my Spring Sing experience more enjoyable and I am so thankful that they chose to do Spring Sing with me.”

“I have always enjoyed performing and the rush and determination that comes with performing. I feel that Spring Sing has that rush and it helps me get determined to do well. I also love that I am in charge and that I have some authority in Spring Sing.”

“I would like to change how we practice and when we start to practice. I feel that if we want to have a good performance then we should start early, and then we wouldn’t need to be practicing for 2 hours or more.”

What qualities and/or skills do you need to be a coordinator?

“I believe that you need to be strong and show leadership in order to be a [choreographer] because it is hard to lead, especially with people who are your age. Even though you need to be strong, you also need to be open to others and listen to their ideas or problems so you can improve as a leader.”

Do you have any funny or interesting stories from Spring Sing this year?

“The funniest/most interesting story from Spring Sing was when the dancers had to try on the costumes. None of us knew that we had to be fitted that day, and we also didn’t know what our costumes were like. So when we started to change we didn’t know how to wear our costumes, and when we all came out we all wore our costumes differently. It was so interesting to see how we all looked.”

“For those who want to join Spring Sing leadership, please be patient during practices. It may not look good at first but after a few practices it will begin to look nice. Also be patient with the teachers because they do truly want to help you.”