The student news site of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace

The Pilot Press

“Woman of the Year”

Gemma Carretta '17, Editor in Chief

For 135 years, the Academy of Our Lady of Peace has taught thousands of students to become “all of which woman is capable,” and so far, OLP students have been capable of handling whatever has been hurdled their way.

This amazing feat was recognized on March 11, 2017 at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade where OLP was nominated as the “Woman of the Year” by the Irish Congress of San Diego who, as Dr. Blade explained, are “instrumental in choosing who will be selected to be honored”. Kim Edwards, mother of OLP graduate Caitlyn Edwards ‘16, is the chair of the Irish Congress St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Dr. Blade, Director of Mission Integration and Historian, explained that OLP has been nominated as the “Woman of the Year” to recognize the vast number of young women who have been educated inside the green gates over the past 135 years. This award honors “the influence that OLP has had on young girls who have made [a] difference in San Diego, and [in] the world. We’re very honored to be the recipient of this award.”

Delia Garland ’17, Mrs. Hooper, and Dr. Lek in the SD Woman of the Year float | Dr. Blade

OLP will not be the only recipient honored, for the Irish Congress also honors a “Man of the Year,” “Irish Woman/Irish Man of the Year,” and “Younger Woman of the Year.” OLP also received another honor through Michelle Malone, and OLP graduate, who was honored as the “Irish Woman of the Year.” Every honoree is chosen because of their significant contributions to the local community. All of the honorees were highlighted in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, and OLP’s own Dr. Lek, Mrs. Hooper, and Delia Garland ‘17 (who does Irish dancing) drove in a Corvette through the parade. OLP’s involvement in the parade is nothing new. For the past 18 years, art students from the National Art Honor Society have designed and created the official banner for the parade.

This year’s theme for this celebration was Mná an Domhain – Celebrating Women of the World, a fitting year for OLP to be honored for helping girls in the community become “all of which woman is capable.