The Pilot Press

Filed under Athletics

OLP/Saints 5th Annual Volleyball Tournament

OLP girls and Saints boys play beach volleyball at Ocean Beach

This year marked another exciting opportunity for the Saint Augustine boys and the OLP girls to get together! On January 15th, they were provided the chance to participate in the 5th annual Co-ed Beach Volleyball Tournament in Ocean Beach.

This tournament was headed by Coach Krystle Cabrera and allowed students to socialize and have fun at the beach without the confines of teachers constantly watching. When the teenagers that signed up to play arrived, they were put into blind draw, so each boy would be partnered up with a girl near their same skill level. The pairs would then go on to play the other pairs.

There were different rounds eliminating those who lost. Those who were eliminated either stayed to watch or milled around the beach enjoying the rolling waves and the blue ocean. At the end of the tournament, six teams remained: two of which would be named the champions. There were two brackets in the finals: gold and silver. All of the final teams played extremely well and it was very exhilarating to watch. The Gold bracket champions were Eden Koria and Xavier Tan. The Silver bracket champions were Hannah Mier y Teran and Ryan Llanes.

They were raffle prizes throughout the day from sponsors including Sun Diego, In n Out, and USA Volleyball. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd also left with some additional prize, including their nice sun tan. When asked what they thought, most of the players said “It was nice to be able to relax and spend time with girls/boys without a set schedule”. Most kids enjoyed this tournament immensely and hope to play again next year!

Do you prefer Beach Volleyball or Court Volleyball?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...