The student news site of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace

The Underdogs Take Home the Trophy

February 13, 2018

The Football season is now coming to an end with the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles facing off in the LII Super Bowl on Sunday, February 4th. Both teams started off strong at the beginning of the season with wins on both sides. They both held impressive teams with strong players and immense dedication. Throughout the season they continued to play extremely well with the Eagles winning 17 out of 22 games and the Patriots winning 16 out of 22 games. People began to suspect that the Patriots would be returning to play in the Superbowl for the 10th time.

However some people were not happy to see them do so. Gregg Shallan says “I hope that anyone but the Patriots go to the Superbowl”. However, during the playoffs the Patriots ended up beating the Jacksonville Jaguars 24-20 and the Eagles beat the Minnesota Vikings 7-38. This meant that the Patriots would be returning to the Superbowl and that the Eagles would be joining them. People were astounded and excited. However, some have refused to support the New England Patriots because of the scandal that they were in involved in, concerning the deflation of the game balls during the Superbowl two years ago. Many, in turn, will be supporting the underdogs of the game, the Philadelphia Eagles. They have only been to the Superbowl three times and have yet to win one. Amara Dooney hopes that “because the Eagles are the underdogs, and they have won more games than the Patriots this season, that they will win”.

As the SuperBowl was played there were many ups and downs.  Brandin Cooks, the Patriot’s wide receiver, was taken out of the game after suffering a head injury. Justin Timberlake gave an outstanding halftime performance and the commercials were a highlight of the game. In the third quarter it seemed as if the Patriots had a shot of winning. Both teams were in a tie but as the fourth quarter started, the Eagles started to lead and in the end, it was the Eagles that took the trophy home. Everyone was amazed, happy, and proud as the underdogs stood proud holding their heads high. They had never won a Super Bowl before and this was not only a win for the team but they also left the Patriots with an impressive score of 41-33. At the end the MVP award was awarded to Nick Fole for his outstanding team work and the fact that he is their second stand-in quarterback after their first quarterback was injured a month ago. As Nick stood with his trophy he thanked his team, coaches and family.

Nick Foles with his daughter, Lily James Foles.

“We have such a great group of guys, such a great coaching staff. We felt confident coming in and we just went out there and played football””

— Nick Foles, quarterback of the Eagles