The Pilot Press

Filed under Wellness

Getting to Know What Your Body Needs

Health Tips for Better Testing and a Better Nights Rest

When was the last time you relaxed? When was the last time that you had a full eight hour sleeping schedule? Do you remember what you look like before the stress? As teenagers in high school, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the projects, the tests, and thousand word papers. But while we struggle to balance all of our responsibilities, it’s important to stay healthy. This week I am going to focus on two things: ways to relax for a better nights rest and what foods will fuel your brain before a test.

1. Guided Meditations

Something I like to do that relaxes me before bed, is to follow a guided meditation. It helps to ease anxiety, gives you a clearer mind, and keeps you from overthinking about everything you need to do. It’s an easy five minute audio recording that has helped me and can now help you stay in tune with your body.

2. Balance your Chakras 

Another tip to sleep better at night is to do a little bit of yoga. It not only helps you relax your muscles, but also allows you to lie more comfortably and peacefully in bed.

3. Wake your Brain

And finally, onto the brain foods. Although you may have heard that carbs are the way to go because they give you a lot of energy, this is not always the case. Carbohydrates often provide a burst of energy in the beginning, but later make you feel drowsy and tired. So when you find yourself cramming at midnight before a test or want a snack before your test, here are ten foods that are proven to help your memory and fuel your brain:

• Nuts
  • Apples
  • Yogurt
  • Blueberries
  • Salmon
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Broccoli
  • Dark chocolate
  • Eggs
  • Dark leafy greens

So if you’re in desperate need of a good nights rest and need that A+ on your test, try out these tips; they might be exactly what you need.