The Pilot Press

Filed under Student Life

Community Day: Valle de Guadalupe

Just a short ride from Tijuana, Baja California, Valle de Guadalupe is the great escape from your typical weekend. Valle de Guadalupe encompasses all the rustic roots of wine making, but with it’s own modern twist. Thirty minutes away from the typical-tacos-and-tortas Tijuana, is Ensenada. Ensenada is known for it’s great seafood and beautiful views. When going to Valle de Guadalupe, passing by Ensenada is like a mini “Universal Studios Tour”. You get to see award winning restaurants, places where famous movies like Titanic have been filmed, and catching a glimpse of the original Pirates of the Caribbean ship. The best tostadas in the world, according to Anthony Bourdain, are sold on a street corner in Ensenada, La Guerrerense. La Guerrerense’s dishes have traveled all over the world, including winning awards in Singapore at the World’s Street Food Congress. If you are interested in the history and past methods of wine making, visit Museo de la Vid y él Vino. But of course, one goes to Valle de Guadalupe to take pictures with pretty backgrounds, have an excuse to “dress up,” and eat. Valle de Guadalupe is the place for all interested in gastronomic innovations. Restaurants like Finca Altozano,  Deckman’s en él Mogor, la Esperanza, and Agua de Vid offer beautiful views and delicious food. Many of these restaurants have won national-level awards for their cuisine. Finca Altozano won “Best Concept” for Travel and Leisure México’s Gourmet Awards. Corazon de Tierra is rated number 34 on Latin America’s list of 50 Best Restaurants.

Finca la Altozana has giant wine barrels, giving you the perfect opportunity to take pictures

This year, OLP will be hosting a Community Day at Casa Magoni Winery on Sunday April 22. This is a perfect experience to visit Valle de Guadalupe with your friends and family. Transportation will be no problem because there will be a shuttle straight from campus to the event. Don’t forget to buy your tickets on aolp.org!