The Pilot Press

Maria Shriver: Architect of Change

Diana Arce

About Maria Shriver…

Maria Shriver was born to a Roman Catholic family in Chicago, Illinois on November 6, 1955. Her father, Sargent Shriver, was a lawyer, U.S. Ambassador to France, and a World War II veteran. Her mother was Eunice Kennedy, JFK’s younger sister, who founded what was then known as Camp Shriver and eventually developed to become the Special Olympics. Maria graduated from Georgetown University with a B.A. in American studies and kicked off her career as a journalist in Philadelphia.

After a successful career as a journalist, Maria left NBC studios when her husband at the time, Arnold Schwarzenegger, signed into office as Governor of California in 2003. Maria went on to work on private projects which include the HBO documentary The Alzheimer’s Project, award-winning film Still Alice, a number of TV shows, a series of children’s books, and appeared in a couple of talk shows before returning to NBC in 2013.

Why does this matter?

Maria is also the founder of Architects of Change—a conversation series with a purpose. These conversations aim to “inspire you to challenge what is, imagine what can be, then create what you envision.” When OLP students had the opportunity to attend Maria Shriver’s conversation with Shonda Rhimes, they were inspired to follow suit and host their own Architects of Change conversation.

This upcoming Thursday, March 22, 2018 the Academy of Our Lady of Peace is excited to welcome Maria Shriver onto our campus for a purposeful conversation. Kiana Yazdani ‘18, a member of the Architects of Change chapter at OLP shared what the process was like, “She’s the founder of Architects of Change and as we are the first school to have the organization on campus, we coordinated with her producer and sometimes worked closely with Maria herself. When we invited her to come speak she gladly accepted.”

Maria Shriver’s book, Ten Things I wish I’d known – Before I Went Out into the Real World, covers the most valuable lessons she has to share with us as young women preparing to head into the real world which she will be elaborating on with us.