The student news site of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace

This Year Has Put the MAD in March Madness

March 21, 2018

Have you seen those white papers flying about with brackets lining basically every part that is white? Have you heard heated debates between coaches, students, and parents alike about who is going to win the NCAA Men’s Division 1 tournament this year? That’s right folks, it’s March Madness!

This tournament has been played since 1939 by college students and is a single-elimination tournament of 68 teams that compete in seven rounds for the national championship. The first ever tournament in 1939 only had 8 teams and Oregon beat Ohio State 46-33.

The term “March Madness” was first used by Henry Porter, a high school official in Illinois. However, the term did not become popular until  CBS Broadcaster Brent Musburder used this term during a broadcast. 

Here is a photo of this year’s brackets. Start picking your teams now before we have a final winner!

A shocking game was held on Friday, March 16th between two teams, the Virginia Cavaliers (from the University of Virginia) and the Maryland Retrievers (from the University of Maryland). The Cavaliers were the number one seed in their division, while the Retrievers were ranked 16th. The game ended with a score of 74-54…the Retrievers won. This was the first time in the history of the NCAA tournament where a 16 seed team beat the number 1 seed team. Additionally, the Virginia Cavaliers were expected to win the entire tournament, and losing in the first game was a shock. 

Do you prefer Basketball, Football or Baseball?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Make sure to leave a comment down below about which team you think is going to win the whole tournament!

The Pilot Press • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in