The Pilot Press

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

College Advice from OLP Teachers

As the seniors at the Academy are preparing to go away for college, they are searching for and taking any advice they can get to make their college experience the best it can be! Fortunately, our OLP teachers are able to provide some words of wisdom and pieces of advice to help them be as ready as they can for the next chapter of their lives.

Regarding choosing where you go and what you want to do, Ms. Cabrera says to focus on where you want to be and what you want your surroundings to be. What kind of weather do you want to be in? Do you want to be close to your parents? Do you want to live in a city? A small town? She also advises to pursue whatever your passion might be, but to know that a new road might open up for you. She says, “Just go with it and be flexible.”

Well, what if you’ve figured out where you want to attend college, but then you don’t get in? It is a sad truth that many students do not get the chance to attend their dream college. However, Ms. Stanko explains that, “Your college experience is what you make of it, and if you have to pick your 2nd or 3rd (or 4th!) choice, you want to make sure whatever college you get into, you make the most of it!” As students, it is important for us to do our best, and to accept whatever outcomes and results with which we are presented. We also need to recognize how fortunate we are to even have the opportunity to receive a college education, so we must take advantage of it, regardless of where we will be.

Mrs. Hanley, advises the soon-to-be college students to sit up front in class. She says that statistics show that students who sit in the front are more likely to achieve higher grades, as it forces them to pay attention and prevents them from getting distracted on their phones.

Mrs. Guerin suggests to all incoming college freshmen to simply keep busy. It is inevitable that we will experience a bit of homesickness and loneliness in the beginning of our college journeys. However, the cure to this is to get involved, for example, joining clubs, finding jobs on campus, and trying new hobbies. Mrs. Guerin says, “Hiding behind your laptop screen in your room will not lead to a positive experience.” She also explains that trying new things will allow us to meet new people, learn more about ourselves, and even possibly help us discover a new passion.

It is important that as OLP students, we continue to practice and further develop our faith when we go away to college. Mr. Martin-Spencer encourages us to get involved with our school’s campus ministry program or Newman Center. He says, “Whether it is going to Mass, participating in service experiences, going on and planning retreats, joining a small faith sharing community, or other awesome opportunities, you will meet incredible and amazing people who just might become your lifelong friends.”

Dr. J, who graduated in 3 years from Cornell with a double major in biology and chemistry (both with honors), has, obviously, made some serious accomplishments throughout his life. Despite this, after earning a PhD from the Scripps Research Institute, he found himself unhappy and unwilling to go to work in the lab everyday. Fortunately, Dr. J was able to find his happiness here, at OLP. He says about his students, “I hope they will do a better job than I did of listening to their hearts and finding time for their friends when they are in college.” Dr. J wishes for us to study and pursue the subjects that we find most enjoyable, but to also “girl up when things get difficult.”