The Pilot Press

Filed under Student Life

Get an Internship This Summer

Balance Out Your Summer Adventures By Gaining Work Experience and Building Your Resume

As the school year comes to an end, we can’t help but dream about the sandy beaches and road trip adventures waiting for us on the other side. Summer is only a few weeks away and the craving for relaxation is in high demand. But just like every year, summer will pass away in the blink of an eye and we will be back to taking out our binders and asking people, “what did you do this summer?” While some people use summer to travel and explore, others use it as a time for enjoyment and taking time off. For those who are simply relaxing this summer, let me propose a word of advice: get a summer internship.

Although it may seem sacrilegious to put forth any effort during the summer, a summer internship may be just what you need. It will balance out the days of boredom when it’s too windy for the beach or not yet time to go to Disneyland, and will even give you some working experience. After all, who doesn’t want to boost their resume before college applications or job interviews? Summer internships are very valuable because they give you an inside look at a certain career. Who knows what could happen? You might end up following a career path based on an internship you had. And the best part about summer internships is that some pay you. You could gain work experience and have money for ice cream beach days! So keep internships in mind before you take off towards the water. It’s a good idea to learn new things this summer so that you have a better answer to “what’d you do this summer” instead of “I just hung out.”

Below are Some Internship Opportunities for High School Students:

Engineering High School Intern job

“The Hewlett-Packard Company (commonly referred to as HP) is an American multinational information technology company. Major product lines included personal computing devices, enterprise and industry standard servers, related storage devices, networking products, software and a diverse range of printers and other imaging products. High School intern includes all work responsibilities performed by Students enrolled in High School and 1st year University students.”

Image result for hp engineering high school intern job

https://lensa.com/engineering-high-school-intern-jobs/san-diego/jd/fb1aa750e7603980709a6d87aa6004ca?utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic

UCSD 2018 Research Experience for High School Students

“The Research Experience for High School Students program, a part of the San Diego Supercomputer Center’s (SDSC) student outreach program, has been developed to help increase awareness of computational science and related fields of research to students in the San Diego region. Students gain exposure to career options, hands-on computational experience, work readiness skills, and mentoring by computational research scientists.”

Image result for UCSD 2018 Research Experience for High School Students

http://girltechsandiego.org/opportunities/internships/

Continue to visit other internship websites for updates and different program opportunities like internships.com or linkedin.com