The Pilot Press

Run Like a Girl

Diana Arce

In 1992, a record number of women were inspired to run for a seat in the U.S. Senate after hearings were held for U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, who had been accused of sexual harassment by Anita Hill. Anita Hill’s willingness to speak up and fight for herself inspired women to follow in her footsteps. As a result twenty-four women were elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, California became the first state to be represented by two female senators, and it was declared Year of the Woman.

Picture courtesy of The Cut.

Today women all over the world are breaking glass ceilings, the invisible barriers in the workplace, and in the U.S. change is more tangible than ever. It looks like 2018 will also be a Year of the Woman as a record number of women have registered to run for office in the upcoming November 2018 midterm elections. A record-breaking 309 women have filed to run for U.S. House of Representatives seats in contrast to the 298 who ran in 2012. The majority of the women are running as Democrats, but there are a few Republicans as well. Thirty-four of the 100 senate seats and all 435 seats in the House of Representatives will be challenged so, the results will be very significant. Currently, only eighty-three of the 435 House of Representatives are held by women and although over half of the U.S. population is female, ⅘ members of Congress are males.

…when I saw that our democracy seemed to be under attack, I felt called upon to serve again and felt a responsibility to serve my country again”

— Mikie Sherrill

Women running for office this year were inspired by movements like Times Up, Me Too, the election of Donald J. Trump, and the annual Women’s March on Washington. These ladies are campaigning to fight for improvement on issues regarding healthcare, education, early childhood development, family leave, and equality in the workplace. Many have shared their personal, frustrating experiences with these issues that led to them deciding to run for office. Mikie Sherrill, who used to be a pilot for the Navy and left to become a federal prosecutor, shared what motivated her to run for office in New Jersey’s 11th District, “After a lifetime of service and taking numerous oaths to support and defend the Constitution, when I saw that our democracy seemed to be under attack, I felt called upon to serve again and felt a responsibility to serve my country again.”

Women are ready to fight for what is right, breaking invisible barriers, and they will not stop until it’s raining glass.